Sunday, March 22, 2009

TV Series: 太極 The Master of Tai Chi

I won't lie, I watched this drama for Raymond Lam. So...... it was a little disappointing that Raymond Lam wasn't the main character, but all in all, he had a good amount of screen time, so it's all good. haha, that was my two seconds of fan girling, so moving on...

I would say that this was a surprisingly good drama, even without Raymond Lam. What made this drama captivating was character development. I would say that the most obvious one is Mo Ma (Vincent Zhao), starting from a guy who's life is based on vengeance, his life is totally turned around because of Tai Chi and his master Kwan San Yuet (Lau Siu Ming). The story was not boring at all, in fact, I think this was one of the few dramas where I was kept interested thoughout the whole thing. I'd say that this was due to the variety of characters. Each of the characters, Mo Ma (Vincent Zhao), Song Ching (Melissa Ng), Tuen Hiu Sing (Raymond Lam), Yin Chi Kwai (Myolie Wu) and Mai Feng Nin (Kenneth Ma) had their own stories and yet, all together, they are interconnected.

This drama wasn't like the usual martial arts series, it's not all about revenge and finding treasure, or a map or what not. The Master of Tai Chi felt a lot deeper, it kind of serves a reminder as to what's important in life, is it family? Love? Career? Through this drama, you also learn some principals of Tai Chi, and it really does make you reflect on your own life and some of the decisions you make in everyday situtaions. All in all, I don't know if I would say that it's a perfect, ideal story, but is that not life? There's always regrets and imperfections, and as much as we'd like everything to be like a fairy tale, it's not, but what we can do is make the most out of it.

RainbowSnow's rating: 4/5