Thursday, August 21, 2008

TV Series: 師奶兵團 The Family Link

This is a TV show about housewives in Hong Kong. The story revolves around three housewives, Mong Ka Ka (Sheren Tang), Hilary Ding (Cecilia Yip) and Cho Mei Ngo (Kiki Sheung) and how they try to keep their family together, ranging from resolving problems with their husbands, involvement in their children's education, housework and saving money from everyday expenses. Initially, I wasn't all that interested in this show, as it was about housewives and I didn't think I could relate to it, however, what kept me interested was the fact that it was a comedy, and there were things that I could laugh at, especially at the parts where I can go "Hey! My mom does that!".

I was very impressed with Sheren Tang's portrayal of Mong Ka Ka, because I had never imagined her being able to play a housewife. Especially after recently watching La Femme Desperado, where Sheren played Hilda, a strong businesswoman and The Drive of Live where Sheren played Wong Siu Fun, the wife of a fairly rich businessman. Sheren Tang's portrayal of a housewife was very convincing and well done.

I couldn't help but to find the costumes of Mong Ka Ka's husband Joe Fong (Michael Tse) to be rather disturbing. I thought that there were other methods to go about the fact that he likes dancing. However, when I think more deeply about it, it gives the audience a chance to relate to Mong Ka Ka, and her initial reluctance to accept what her husband was doing.

It was a good tv show, the fact that it revolved around the three housewives meant that there were three stories going on at the same time, which kept me interested. It was a topic of housewives was unique and different. Good.

RainbowSnow's rating: 4/5
Links: TVB Official Webpage for The Family Link

No comments: